Skip to main content

Being a Mom in a new war

In January of 2003, I was a 22-year-old college student who was looking forward to my last semester at college.  I had my plans lined up, and goals worked out.  But I got a call that changed my life forever! Oh! I was in the Army Reserve also; did I forget to mention that? Yes, so I got a call that said you have 24 hours to report to the reserve center with all your Army things and whatever else you think you might need for an indeterminate amount of time. What? 

I cried all the way home, grieving the life I was leaving behind, having no idea if I would ever return or how life would be, if I returned. I dutifully packed my things and reported like a good soldier, and began my journey to Iraq.  A journey that would end up being a year and a half before returning home.  Life looked a lot different when I returned. A lot of my family and friends seemed very much the same, but I felt very different.  I was looking at life through a different lens, a lens shaded by my experiences the previous year.

That initial shock of having to turn our life around is where we are now mommas.  We have to keep walking through life, with added responsibilities. While also grieving the life we lost, or were planning to have.  Seniors are giving up prom, graduation, and all the honors and fun that come with their last year of high school.  The little elementary kiddos are losing the end of their first years of school, and some are small enough that they think this is normal. Bless their hearts! And moms, we are giving up what we thought life would look a few weeks ago.

Moms, you are walking through the trenches of life right now, you have been deployed to fight for your family against our new enemy Covid-19.  You have been tasked with keeping up the house, and helping kids with school work, and maybe even working at your regular job too. Also, you have to keep up with all the changes that happen daily with regards to grocery shopping, and how to protect your family from the virus.

Please, please give yourself the grace of grieving the loss of the life you had, of what you thought life was going to look like in the future.  Give the control of the uncontrollable over to the One who knows what the future has in store for us.

When I was deployed, I thought it was the end of my life, and it was, in one way.  But it also opened the door to a new life, a life where I wanted something different for my life. I wanted a simpler life, one with a husband and kids if that was God’s will.  I came home with the idea of never saying no to reasonable suggestions, to live life to the fullest. 

Moms after we have defeated this enemy, we will live life to the fullest!  We will hug a little longer, enjoy getting invites to see friends or go out for a night with our spouse. Hopefully, we never dread our busy schedules again because deep down we know what it was like to lose our busy schedules overnight, and take on unimaginable tasks in our own house.  
While we wait for that time to come don’t forget to look around and realize what you have done, and overcome.  Your deployment has begun, there are no u-turns, and you are the roadside assistant for your family.  Let’s go! There are great things to come Mom!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Two-Faced Peach When you think of a peach, what flavor sits on your tongue?  You probably think of a sweet taste and memories of summer?  Do you think of a spicy flavor?  Maybe not a spicy flavor, but let me introduce you to the two faced Peach.                                                  Peach salsa getting ready to be canned Two-faced seems kind of harsh, but in this case I mean it in the most kind and sincerest terms.  There is only so much sweetness a gal can take before she needs a little spice in her life! And for me that is peach salsa!  I was skeptical at first, but I needed something new to do with peaches, and came across the recipe in the Complete Book of Home Preserving, it did not disappoint.  I was eating it out of the pot before canning (all proper party rules in place of course, no double dipping).  And peach salsa isn’t just for chips; it can be added to hamburgers, chicken,  maybe fish.   Very versatile salsa, and a touch on the spicy side.
Invisible Veterans It is the week of Veteran’s day, a time to remember those who have served this country, and those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.  It is a very important day, a day that should not be ignored or trumped by sales ads.  I believe we should teach our children about the sacrifices veterans have made so that they can have the life they live. They are the reason that we live in the best country in the world, I don’t care about political issues blah, blah, blah…we do live in the best country in the world!  (I’ll explain how I know that later.) But there are veterans that I feel do not get the attention that they deserve, invisible veterans. Men/ Women who came home after serving and went back to their regular lives.  These are veterans who may not talk a lot about their service, and it may not be due to seeing terrible and horrific events in war.  It may simply be that they can not find the words to describe what they saw.  Or they try to tell others, but th
Merry Hallothanksmas and Happy New Year! It has been busy in the Brown house lately!  I’m sure it has been busy in your house as well.  For us, it feels as though we have been running since Halloween.  At one point I saw a sign that read, “Merry Hallothanksmas!”  I feel this is fitting for the holidays, I don’t really have an answer to this issue, but it feels as though Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas get smooched together in some weird, food eating-celebratory craziness, where I’m just trying to keep my sanity and our family together. The crazy is finally over now, and a new year has begun, along with that comes great possibilities. I personally don’t make actual new years resolutions; I’m not quite that organized-yet.  But I do have a few goals for myself and family.  Goal #1- Purge our house of all unnecessary things! I am done with clutter; my goal is to purge our house in six months of all unneeded things.  So far, I have cleaned one closet and purged ¼ of my c