Skip to main content

Volunteers Carry the Load, But the Weight is Getting Heavy

 I love volunteering. I have made amazing friendships and learned so much from volunteering. I volunteer in my community, I have volunteered to coach on occasion, and I volunteer in my church. I do it because it makes me feel good about helping others and bringing events to our small corner of the world. My personality has been made and molded to help others. 

While volunteering I have learned how to best set up a serving line that maximizes efficiency. 


I have learned how amazing and funny the kids in our community are. 


I have learned planning and organizing skills that have continued to get better (I think).


I have also learned the subtle art of give and take when working with a group of people. 


Photo by Hanna Morris on Unsplash
My journey of volunteering hasn't been easy in a small community. I have been stressed and irritated at someone or something that just didn't go the way I wanted it to or thought it would go. But along the way, I have gained such respect for other people in my community that I just wouldn't have had if I didn't volunteer where I do. 


However, I have noticed in my small community that most of the volunteers I work with are older than I am. Now, I am not young, but I'm not old either I'll leave it to your imagination how old I am, but let's just say I am comfortably in the middle. I have also noticed that there are not many volunteers younger than me. And this is not something that is isolated to our community either.


I have talked to people in other communities and even cities much larger than where I live. They say the same thing. That most volunteers are getting older, and they do not see many younger people coming to volunteer. This is not to dismiss younger people at all, I know young people who are very kind and compassionate, and who want to help but may be unsure of where to start or how to start volunteering. Or feel that they are too busy with everything going on in their life.


If you happen to be one of those people who want to volunteer but are afraid for one reason or another, I would like to reassure you that there is nothing to worry about. Everyone I have volunteered with would love to come alongside you, guide you, and teach you. You will make mistakes while volunteering, but that is ok, a mistake while volunteering is part of the learning process, the most important thing is you are there and helping. I have made so many mistakes while volunteering that I was sure someone would fire me. When volunteering you are trying to do your part to better the community.            

Helping your community on your worst day is better than not helping on your best day.


Photo by Hannah Busing on Unsplash
If you are not currently volunteering in your community please look around, is there some way you can share some of the work and stress load for the people who are volunteering in your community?   Or you can visit https://www.volunteer.gov/s/ to learn more about ways you can serve your community. We are not asking for someone to walk in and be the leader of an event, we just want more people. Some more bodies to carry the load and brains to help bring more ideas. Volunteers carry the load and love what they do, but the weight of it is getting heavy. Can you spare some time to reach in and help carry the load?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Letter to the Soldier on my Memorial Bracelet

During Memorial Day weekend and the days around Veteran’s Day, I wear a memorial bracelet of a soldier who died in Iraq. The research that I have found shows this soldier was killed in the same area I was in Iraq at the time, it is also possible, although I’ll never know for sure that I shared his honor flight out of Iraq with him. The honor flight is a soldier's flight home after dying in a war zone. This flight was the first of possibly many to get their body home to their family. The image of this covered deceased soldier flying on the same flight I was on troubled me for a long time, so I did research to try and find out who this person might have been. I found the name of a person killed in the area I would have been in on that day, I will never know for sure if this soldier is for sure the one I shared a flight with, but no matter what, I will honor him just the same. Following is a letter I wish I could send to heaven to let him know I remember him, and assuming I shared a f
The Two-Faced Peach When you think of a peach, what flavor sits on your tongue?  You probably think of a sweet taste and memories of summer?  Do you think of a spicy flavor?  Maybe not a spicy flavor, but let me introduce you to the two faced Peach.                                                  Peach salsa getting ready to be canned Two-faced seems kind of harsh, but in this case I mean it in the most kind and sincerest terms.  There is only so much sweetness a gal can take before she needs a little spice in her life! And for me that is peach salsa!  I was skeptical at first, but I needed something new to do with peaches, and came across the recipe in the Complete Book of Home Preserving, it did not disappoint.  I was eating it out of the pot before canning (all proper party rules in place of course, no double dipping).  And peach salsa isn’t just for chips; it can be added to hamburgers, chicken,  maybe fish.   Very versatile salsa, and a touch on the spicy side.
Invisible Veterans It is the week of Veteran’s day, a time to remember those who have served this country, and those who have given the ultimate sacrifice.  It is a very important day, a day that should not be ignored or trumped by sales ads.  I believe we should teach our children about the sacrifices veterans have made so that they can have the life they live. They are the reason that we live in the best country in the world, I don’t care about political issues blah, blah, blah…we do live in the best country in the world!  (I’ll explain how I know that later.) But there are veterans that I feel do not get the attention that they deserve, invisible veterans. Men/ Women who came home after serving and went back to their regular lives.  These are veterans who may not talk a lot about their service, and it may not be due to seeing terrible and horrific events in war.  It may simply be that they can not find the words to describe what they saw.  Or they try to tell others, but th